Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tastes of Summer

I love the taste of garden-fresh produce, and corn-on-the-cob is one of my favorites.  One of our annual events is picking up enough fresh corn (from a friend's garden or a local market) to enjoy for summer meals and to freeze for later.  This year, I was happy to share the experience with my daughter.

I have memories of getting LOTS of corn when I was growing up and our family was stationed in Nebraska. We would spend hours shucking the corn cobs and cleaning off the silk to prepare it for freezing.  If my friends happened to stop by, they were usually put to work!  This made for some sore, sticky hands and some great conversation.

Today I passed on some of those memories with my daughter, as I showed her how to shuck the corn and clean off the silks.  I broke the corn cobs in half for freezing (the perfect size for little hands), and explained the steps of blanching/chilling the corn.  She was most interested in the vacuum sealer we used to package the corn for freezing.

I've thought about cutting off the corn  to use a bit less room in the freezer, but both of my kids love gnawing the kernels off the cob.  At least for now, this is the best way for my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment