Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

(An older post I forgot to publish over a year ago!!!  By the way, the detergent works!)

I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent this weekend.  It was pretty easy, and I'm very hopeful that it works for us and helps us to have a little more room in our budget.

Laundry isn't one of my favorite tasks, but I do it out of love for my family.

On good days, I can take it on calmly, planning when to do each load and keeping on top of the folding.

On those not-so-good days, I try my best to avoid it, or grumble about having to do it.  I get frustrated when I leave a load in the dryer and the whole load is full of wrinkles.  (At least I can usually get by with adding a damp towel to steam out the wrinkles- I don't really iron anymore.)  I really go ballistic when I realize I've left a load in the washer for a few days, and it smells awful!

Anyway, I'm trying to set up my laundry area (a closet in a bathroom) to be as pleasant and organized as I can.  I'm trying to set myself up for success and peace in the mundane laundry chore.

I did make a laundry sign and some organizational hooks for the area.  I even added some paint and scrapbook paper to make them more than just functional.

Finally, I made the laundry detergent.  It feels good to find a thrifty way get the clothes washed.  I feel like I accomplished something!  I know, laundry detergent isn't a huge accomplishment, but I know this will be another small way to love and serve my family.

I picked a simple recipe- 2 parts soap flakes (grate a bar of Zote), 1 part washing soda, 1 part borax.  I use a leftover baby formula scoop to measure- 1 for smaller loads, 2-3 for larger ones.

Now, the next step will be to add a verse to the wall over the washer- "Do all things without grumbling and complaining."  (Philippians 2:14)  That would be a real transformation!

No comments:

Post a Comment