Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Seize the (Cooler) Days

I have a confession.  I hate the heat.  I can't stand 100+ degree days, high humidity, and scorching sunny days.  I disdain the sticky, icky sensation of being drenched in sweat.  I also happen to be prone to heat-induced migraines and sunburn easily.  I have to brace myself to endure the annual school field day.

I also live in Texas, where the super-heated outdoors is a regular fact of life.  It's also a fact that I tend to prefer indoor activities in the summer with my constant companions, the fan and air conditioner!  I've just learned to do my outdoor activities in the fall, winter, or early spring to avoid the heated outdoors.

This summer, I didn't even attempt a tiny garden in the space allotted by our landlord, not wanting to be constantly watering and weeding (which is outside in the heat I can't bear).  I do feel a bit guilty, as my sister now has a small farm growing at her place.  (It even requires a tractor for plowing!)  I am very appreciative of the abundance of fresh vegetables her place provides for our family.

We recently received an abundance of potatoes requiring our attention.  Each year I use fresh potatoes, carrots, celery, and cubed meat to create a super batch of beef stew for canning.  Like every canning project I've ever been involved in, it takes quite of bit of planning and work, but the benefits this winter are worth it!  My potatoes were scrubbed and ready for cutting.  My carrots and celery are cleaned and chopped.  The meat is thawed and cubed.  The jars are clean.  The pressure cookers are in the kitchen.  I even woke up early to take on this monumental task, eager to begin.  I set out all the ingredients, the huge mixing bowl, and the pan for cooking the meat before the kids got up!  (Side note- I'm very grateful for the air conditioned home that allows me to enjoy this task.  I'm pretty sure I would not have looked forward to this, say,  100 years ago.)

Then I stepped outside for a moment.  I checked the weather app on my phone to confirm that it really was only 68 degrees.  Even better, today's high was predicted to only be in the mid-80's.  This just doesn't happen in July in Texas!  I went inside with a debate in my mind.  My responsible, organized side really wants to follow the plan for the day and get on with the stew.  My other side is thinking this type of weather does NOT come along every day and I'm a fool not to take advantage of it.

Then I put all my stew ingredients away.  Gathered up some water bottles, and loaded the car.  We were headed out to play.
We ended up driving to the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens.  We spent several hours roaming paths and trying out every turn.  


Peek-a-boo!  The boardwalk area is very kid-friendly.



They call these "Whisper Tubes," but we know a "Whisper-ma-Phone" with a snergelly hose when we see one!

There you have it... the day we chose to make memories at the park instead of stew.  I'm pretty sure I'll have plenty more scorching days where I can hide inside and catch up on canning.


No comments:

Post a Comment